About Me

My name is Myia and I am a mom to two wonderful girls. We love to explore life through sensory/messy play and nature. I strongly believe that you need to let children "be little" to reach their full potential. We encourage mess and exploring to build our little one up. We learn through a mixture of Reggio/Waldrof/Montessori practices. Follow for ideas and experiences in sensory play as well as our attachment parent journey!

Monday, April 20, 2015

Sprinkle Play Dough-two ways!

Play Dough is the king here, probably more than water beads! In fact, Tegan has started to say "Play dough" in the most adorable way a 19 month old can!!

We like to create new doughs to keep her interested and express fine motor skills. Most of these are really simple and cheap ideas.

Today I made a basic dough-no coloring-and let Tegan shake out sprinkles I simply got from the dollar store. I didn't realize it would be such a huge hit!




I made my dough using the basic recipe: 
  • 2 Cups of Flour
  • 2 Tbsp of Oil
  • 1/2 Cup of Salt
  • 2 Tbsp Cream of Tartar
  • 1 1/2 Cup Boiling Water
You would add your color if need be, but there wasn't for this activity! After mixing all together, I still like to put it in a warm pan on the stove and mix until it forms a tight ball. I feel it gets a better consistency. 

I simply then let her at it!



Since this was a "sweet" dough, we decided to add cupcake liners. I think scenting it with vanilla next time would be a great idea!



I store all my play dough in either recycled plastic containers (like yogurt or such) or if I am out, plastic baggies. To my wonderful delight, a few days later we pulled the dough out again to play and the sprinkles had MELTED! It made the dough look like a confetti dough!




I added some foam shapes to press into, but what she really liked was making "popsicles" 



What a great way to get to activities out of one dough!






No comments:

Post a Comment