About Me

My name is Myia and I am a mom to two wonderful girls. We love to explore life through sensory/messy play and nature. I strongly believe that you need to let children "be little" to reach their full potential. We encourage mess and exploring to build our little one up. We learn through a mixture of Reggio/Waldrof/Montessori practices. Follow for ideas and experiences in sensory play as well as our attachment parent journey!

Friday, April 17, 2015

Kinetic Sand and Seashells

So, I caught wind they had Kinetic sand at the .99 cent only stores-and I may not have died (lol). I don't live near one, but a gracious friend picked me up several bags. It was $1.99 for 2 lbs! We have been having so much fun with a large amount of kinetic sand, and what better way to play with this wonderful white sand than a beach theme?




Kinetic sand is wonderful for a variety of reasons, and one of the best parts is that it holds shapes really well. This was perfect for the real sea shells we used! It was easy to make prints and molds.


I also felt this activity went really well with the Earth Day theme, but I didn't have any age appropriate (19 months) books about the beach. If you have a older toddler this would be a great introduction.

Here is how well the sand holds natural shapes:


And even the inside of shells:

Here is some of the printmaking we did:




It would be fun to also incorporate water beads in a separate tray to really give this a beach feel-however I didn't want to ruin my precious kinetic sand! But maybe next time I'll be more daring :)


No comments:

Post a Comment