About Me

My name is Myia and I am a mom to two wonderful girls. We love to explore life through sensory/messy play and nature. I strongly believe that you need to let children "be little" to reach their full potential. We encourage mess and exploring to build our little one up. We learn through a mixture of Reggio/Waldrof/Montessori practices. Follow for ideas and experiences in sensory play as well as our attachment parent journey!

Friday, April 10, 2015

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Sensory Bin

Tegan, who is 19 months, is finally really getting into books (persistence paid off!) and she loves short story board books. I decided to make book time even more fun by an accompanying sensory bin. This week we decided to do Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (who doesn't love this book?)


                                    

First I wanted to make a magnetic tree, and let me tell you, this was a lot of grief. The best way would be to buy black spray paint and spray the cans; I didn't have that option and I didn't want to spend the money so I tried using construction paper. After MUCH trial and error, overall it wasn't super effective. Even taunt and tight it hindered my cheap ABC magnets from sticking (lol). I ended up ripping it off in the end and just using the cans. To make the tree, I simply hot glued three used cans (black beans, mmm!) and used the black construction paper and green for the leaves.

You have many options on what to use as the filler. You really can't go wrong with corn, beans, rice, pom poms, ect. I decided to use our rainbow rice.


We read aloud the book, opened the bin, and while she played I read it to her again. If she was older, it would be fun to find each letter alphabetically and put it on the tree. 


Besides the coconut tree struggles (lol) this was a easy and quick set up that she really enjoyed! Especially once she was able to stick the letters better to the can. 



Stay tuned as we will be doing weekly book activities AS WELL as Earth day activities for the month of April! 




No comments:

Post a Comment