About Me

My name is Myia and I am a mom to two wonderful girls. We love to explore life through sensory/messy play and nature. I strongly believe that you need to let children "be little" to reach their full potential. We encourage mess and exploring to build our little one up. We learn through a mixture of Reggio/Waldrof/Montessori practices. Follow for ideas and experiences in sensory play as well as our attachment parent journey!

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Quinoa Breakfest Bake

I am 24 weeks pregnant (going on 25 soon) and this second pregnancy has been really hard on my health. I am still nursing Tegan (19 months) on a regular schedule as well; Not only does she nurse to sleep and awake for bedtime and her nap, but we will have 2-3 (at least) feeding in between. I under estimated the toll both being pregnant and lactating was having on my body. Despite a healthy diet (with treats of course!), and good supplements (fermented cod liver oil, magnesium) I have had a stomach bug/food poisoning twice, a severe sinus infection, and general feeling like blah. Of course, we can chop the blah to just being pregnant, but after being sick so many times (which is very unusual for me) I decided I needed to up my nutrition.

I have already gained roughly 32 lbs this pregnancy. I gained 70+ with Tegan, and I thought this pregnancy I would gain less, but that has not been the case. However, I am NOT worried! I am producing milk and a baby! Weight is JUST a number and I am focused on being healthy and happy! We are SUPER active too, regularly taking hikes, walks, and what not on a weekly basis so I know I am in charge of my health. Some of my recipes *are* caloric dense as well, but for all my pregnant/breastfeeding/tandem moms, this is a good thing!

I am really excited to share this recipe with you guys. It is very versatile and extremely delicious. You can easily add substitutions which I will mention.  This is easy to make 100% vegan and gluten free too, if that is what you wish!




Quinoa Breakfast Bake 

Serves 2

1 medium Banana-ripe or unripe (see substitutions)*
1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of choice)
1 cup of Quinoa Flakes
2 tablespoons of Greek Yogurt plain (or non dairy yogurt)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup of Walnuts or nut of choice 
2 scoops of Collagen Polypeptide Powder**
Dash of Himalayan Salt
Cinn/Nutmeg  

*I used a banana in this recipe, and it came out like a banana bread. It was delicious, but there are tons of substitutions! Try using apple sauce, or for pregnant mamas trying to get dates in you can easily substitiute date paste. The substitution would be 1/2 cup- you could probably do more date paste as it is thick and not runny (like applesauce) if you like it to be sweeter. 

**I love my Collagen Powder. I get mine through a co op (here it is online, Vital Proteins) and it packs a whooping 18 grams of protein per 2 scoops. It is a easily digestible and absorbable protein, more so than many protein powders. It is also low in calories compared to protein powders. The blue lid is the non gelling form and you can add it to anything-baking, smoothies, yogurt, ect. 

I simply mixed all ingredients together with a hand mixer, and baked in my convection oven at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes. 



I plugged in the info into myfittnesspal app, which I have a love hate relationship with, and these were the stats on one serving:


LOOK AT THAT IRON LADIES! Were else are you going to get 28% of your daily intake of iron like this? And the protein! I strive for 100 grams a day and this is 25% of my daily intake! This is such a super house for pregnant/lactating women! 

And best of all? It was DELICIOUS!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment