About Me

My name is Myia and I am a mom to two wonderful girls. We love to explore life through sensory/messy play and nature. I strongly believe that you need to let children "be little" to reach their full potential. We encourage mess and exploring to build our little one up. We learn through a mixture of Reggio/Waldrof/Montessori practices. Follow for ideas and experiences in sensory play as well as our attachment parent journey!

Monday, April 13, 2015

Earth Month Activity

Earth Day should be more than just a day don't you think? That is why Tegan and I are celebrating all this month! We have different activities, books, and crafts throughout this month to explore environments, animals, plants, and more.

Today we did a simple craft that was a lot of fun. It is also one I've been dying to try! Baked Cotton balls!

It is very easy; first make a 1:1 ratio of flour and water. The best description of the consistency is pancake batter like!

I then added some paint, in blue and green (earth colors!)


I laid out the cotton balls and paint, and prepared a wax paper sheet. Tegan is not into crafts as much as she is into her activities such as the bins, so it took coaxing for her. She preferred to "dip" the balls into the batter and place. Mom had fun rolling them around ;)


We placed them in a circle shape. If you have older kids, feel free to try to make it resemble Earth, but we were happy with just placing them wherever.


I preheated my oven to 300 degrees F. Some people said it took 60 mins to bake, and some even said 90+, but I have a gas double oven, I used my smaller oven and they were dry in less than 30, so it is important to check yours!


The cotton balls were glued onto the wax paper, which is perfect for our intended use. After I let cool, I simply hot glued it to a piece of construction paper and viola!


Happy Earth MONTH!


No comments:

Post a Comment