About Me

My name is Myia and I am a mom to two wonderful girls. We love to explore life through sensory/messy play and nature. I strongly believe that you need to let children "be little" to reach their full potential. We encourage mess and exploring to build our little one up. We learn through a mixture of Reggio/Waldrof/Montessori practices. Follow for ideas and experiences in sensory play as well as our attachment parent journey!

Friday, November 28, 2014

Myia's Sensory Christmas List-Building materials for open ended play

The past month I've been MULLING over what to get Tegan for Christmas. She will be 15 1/2 months, so not quite "wanting" anything so I wanted to do toys I could "invest" in. I decided to compose a list that I have come across as serious contenders. I feel it is so important to give your children toys that promote open ended play and ignite the senses, rather than toys that are fun to open and tossed to the side!

There is one thing I know I wanted Tegan to have. A safe magnetic blocks. After research, this is what I came up with:

                                        Tegu Magnetic Blocks, 52 pieces for $95. from amazon
I would say these are the "investment" blocks. The price is, well, high but everyone who gets these seems to say they are worth the investment. The natural blocks are cheaper than the colored counterparts. I would also say these are smaller building blocks it seems, so something for older kids. But I could imagine a one year old playing with them, as well as a 8 year old.


Magna Tiles 48 piece set, $75 From amazon 
I am not sure Tegan is an appropriate age for these thinner magnetic construction tiles; but they are a contender. Slightly cheaper, these are brightly colored and I can imagine the fun older ones could have with these.They really have a large range of uses


The winner: Smart Max Basic Set of 42, $80 From Amazon
These are the winners in my book. These magnetic pieces are large enough for the smallest of babies and easy to grip. I see Tegan easily manipulating these, as well as being fun when she is older. The ball joints provide a more diverse range of play. I like they are colored too. This is on my must have list!


I should note all these come in smaller sets for cheaper. I posted these numbers because I feel these sets are adequate for playing from a young age (one year) to older. Tegu makes "on the go" kits of 8 blocks I think would be brilliant for older toddlers. 

Second on my list was maybe another type of building material that again, would be suitable for Tegan now but also she could grow into.

Janod 50 geometrix blocks, $30 from amazon
These are very cool! A slight twist from regular blocks, your child could have fun with the tetris possiblity of these wooden blocks. Janod makes circus and safari sets too that are to die for!


                                             Uncle Goose Building Blocks, $31 from amazon
Ok, seriously. We already own a similar block set so we won't be getting these, but these HAVE TO BE A MUST HAVE!! My personal favorite is the Periodic table; but they don't stop there! They have a large range of blocks including multiple languages! How fun!!!! Even as a decoration they are to die for and the price is also amazing!!

Grimm's Large Rainbow Stacker, $40 from amazon
Is there anything Grimm makes that isn't' adorable? These stackers, along with the other elements the brand offers (Fire, water, earth) are a great wooden addition to open ended play. I love the examples they give to play with these. I also feel these would be appropriate for a large range of ages. Plus, they would look great in any nursery or playroom!! 


But the winner for this family this year is: 
Squigz 24 Starter kit, $25 from amazon
Okay, how adorable are these? Once again, this is a building toy suitable from young to older kids. They suction cup to any smooth surface and themselves. You can buy a larger kit, but 24 seems pretty adequate! Love the joints and the endless uses. I can imagine Tegan playing with these on the tile floors, on the windows, and having fun pulling them apart from each other. Must have!


What are your favorites? Any must haves? Keep checking in, as I will be doing more Christmas list posts, including stocking stuffers!!!



1 comment: