About Me

My name is Myia and I am a mom to two wonderful girls. We love to explore life through sensory/messy play and nature. I strongly believe that you need to let children "be little" to reach their full potential. We encourage mess and exploring to build our little one up. We learn through a mixture of Reggio/Waldrof/Montessori practices. Follow for ideas and experiences in sensory play as well as our attachment parent journey!

Monday, November 17, 2014

Contact Paper and Foil Paper: Multi Sensory Play!

Contact paper is one of my favorite mediums. It is cheap, fun to work with, and has a multitude of uses. I found a large roll of contact paper at Target for $5, but you can get smaller rolls at the Dollar Store.

I simply cut to fit the window, and peal off and tape the edges since my contact paper is one sided. If I wear to do this project again, I would place the paper horizontal! I forgot how tall my windows are vs how short Tegan is!
                                                       

Tissue paper is the normal material used in contact paper. I used cotton balls once at our Farm Sensory Party to make "sheep!" but at the Dollar store I saw these:



 It is foiled filler paper. I loved this! I thought it might be a nice change from the normal. Well, not only was it a nice change but it had a added element to this activity: The crinkle! It sounded exexactlyike tin foil with the texture of tissue paper. Tegan had just as much fun crinkling it as she did putting it on the window.



She also had fun sticking her own hand to the  contact paper and peeling it off. At 14 months, Tegan was less worried about making shapes and more taking the paper on/off. The foil paper wasn't easy to remove but it wasn't hard either.  It took some effort which Tegan found interesting.


Even better, she created a really awesome 3-D effect by pulling them on/off. She went back to this on and off all day, but the initial activity kept her busy for almost 20 minutes! And if you buy the contact paper from the dollar store as well, it was less than $4 and reusable! 

Thank you for ready and remember, Let them be messy!







No comments:

Post a Comment