About Me

My name is Myia and I am a mom to two wonderful girls. We love to explore life through sensory/messy play and nature. I strongly believe that you need to let children "be little" to reach their full potential. We encourage mess and exploring to build our little one up. We learn through a mixture of Reggio/Waldrof/Montessori practices. Follow for ideas and experiences in sensory play as well as our attachment parent journey!

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Why the cutest sensory bins aren't always the best!

It is Murphy's law. You put a lot of effort into something, you are convinced your little one will love it. And then they don't look twice at it! Haha! That was my luck with my Ivory Soap experiment. I think Tegan was a little too young to appreciate the bin, and the soap smell was also strong. But it was fun to put together!

We did Ivory Soap two ways: Ghost mud and microwave mud.

Ghost mud was a great texture, but I would reserve the texture for older children. It is highly mold able and best appreciated making things such as snow men. We simply grated two bars of ivory soap, added toilet paper and slowly added water, mixing together. Of all the sensory items in the bin, this was her least favorite. I think it was just too thick and the soap smell was strong.

Ghost mud on top, microwave mud on bottom 

Microwave mud was so much fun! Again, this is a project that would have been awesome for older children. Watching the soap in the microwave was so much fun for me! Now, this once cooled is textures like snow. A must for snow themed activities. Tegan did play with this and had a lot of fun in the soft texture.



I also added slime, cotton balls, and shaving cream. Shaving cream is one of Tegan's favorites :)




But we got maybe 10 minutes of play and she hasn't looked at it since! Oh well, on to the next project! It goes to show that sometimes the most simple play is the biggest hit.


No comments:

Post a Comment