About Me

My name is Myia and I am a mom to two wonderful girls. We love to explore life through sensory/messy play and nature. I strongly believe that you need to let children "be little" to reach their full potential. We encourage mess and exploring to build our little one up. We learn through a mixture of Reggio/Waldrof/Montessori practices. Follow for ideas and experiences in sensory play as well as our attachment parent journey!

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Exploring Oil and Paint

We did this activity a few days ago, but I promised myself I would start updating my blog again! So I want to review one of our favorite activities from this week.

I like to allow art everyday; I keep supplies always open and available to Tegan. Let art happen naturally through drawing and paint. Sometimes since she is so young (2) she does need invitations to create and encouragement from myself as well.

I decided to take a little guidance with our art this day by exploring density. While she was too young to understand ( I think, you never know!) I explained that the oil in the bag was reacting to the tempura paint differently because the liquids were different in density.

We simply used one bottle of canola oil (use different oils, such as coconut, baby oil, ect for more experimenting!)

Tempura paints

2 ziplock bags-You might want to add tape to the top if you have a especially strong toddler.


We first poked, prodded, and squished the bags. Then Tegan took to vigorously shaking them! What was interesting is the lighter color bag mixed differently than the darker colors. For older children it would be a interesting lesson to research on why!



I ended up not being able to take photos, but we then poured the oil and paint into containers and panting with them. The oil saturated our plain paper pretty badly, next time I will use card stock so we can keep our creations!

We continued our "Oil" lesson with density by combining baby oil, glitter, and ice. The oil and glitter create and amazing glistening look while getting the ice "Slick." As the ice melts, the density of the water and oil repel each other, and the glitter stayed with the oil. Fascinating! We made ours into a "arctic" scene.


One of the biggest benefits of this lesson was to really use a different texture of oil. We have not done too many art or bin activities with oil. I am really interested in using oil and water beads in our next "oil" activity! Stayed tune for updates :)


No comments:

Post a Comment