About Me

My name is Myia and I am a mom to two wonderful girls. We love to explore life through sensory/messy play and nature. I strongly believe that you need to let children "be little" to reach their full potential. We encourage mess and exploring to build our little one up. We learn through a mixture of Reggio/Waldrof/Montessori practices. Follow for ideas and experiences in sensory play as well as our attachment parent journey!

Monday, September 8, 2014

Daily Sensory Bins

Every day I set out a bin, usually a "dry" bin of some kind of edible dried food (rice, peas, ect) for Tegan. Sensory bins like this are essential in our day to day. I need something to keep her busy and stimulated without too much set up. This is where these simple bins save my life!


I have currently about six bins of dry goods, and I always keep a batch of cloud dough, a simple mixture of flour and coconut oil and some essential oil.


Everyday when she starts to get fussy I whip one out and I have at least 15 minutes of a occupied baby! Believe it or not, it can make all the difference!

The best part, since they are dry foods I can easily sweep it back up and save it for the next time. All these foods are readily available at the dollar store so even if I need to replace it is very cheap to do so.

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog and am loving your ideas! However I do have a question. My son is ten months old (oct 2013) and as I'm looking through your posts, how do you keep your daughter from trying to eat the sensory item? My son would be chowing down on some beans or play dough!

    I will definitely be using a few of your ideas! Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry Sklyar I am just seeing your comment! Tegan loves to "taste" her activities, so that is why most of ours is taste safe! A little nibble here or there won't hurt. A lot of times I play or show her what is to be done with the material and she catches on. For non food, I simply keep a close eye on her. Now that she is one it has become much better!

      Delete