About Me

My name is Myia and I am a mom to two wonderful girls. We love to explore life through sensory/messy play and nature. I strongly believe that you need to let children "be little" to reach their full potential. We encourage mess and exploring to build our little one up. We learn through a mixture of Reggio/Waldrof/Montessori practices. Follow for ideas and experiences in sensory play as well as our attachment parent journey!

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Getting messy with your child

One of the saddest things I hear or see about messy/sensory play is:

"Messy play without the mess"
"How to control the mess"
"Clean messy play"

Why are we as parents so afraid of getting dirty?! Would it be that tragic if you got into the mud with your child? Would it be horrible if you looked at your kitchen and saw oobleck sticking to your counter? I get it- most of us already are behind on our cleaning schedule and making slime that somehow got stuck to the ceiling isn't always appealing. But I am going to go sappy here:




It is what makes memories. The mess. The fun. The play. I think I ruined my TOMS today at the park. The sprinklers where on and between that, the dog, and the amazing sand castle we made I am not sure they will ever be the same. And that's ok. Because it doesn't matter. The time I had with Tegan does.



One of the most IMPORTANT things about sensory play is to PLAY WITH THEM. Don't sit back and watch. Get in there girl. I will admit, I love sensory play too. I freaking love oobleck. Water beads are my new favorite thing. As adults, we can still explore our senses too. Talk about the textures, the feelings, the smells. Smile. Laugh.



Your baby with enjoy the world much more if you enjoy it with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment