About Me

My name is Myia and I am a mom to two wonderful girls. We love to explore life through sensory/messy play and nature. I strongly believe that you need to let children "be little" to reach their full potential. We encourage mess and exploring to build our little one up. We learn through a mixture of Reggio/Waldrof/Montessori practices. Follow for ideas and experiences in sensory play as well as our attachment parent journey!

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Developmental Toys, Ages 0-3 months

It is that time of year! You are wondering what to get your little ones for Christmas. For there is one shortage in the world, it is not toys. Everywhere you look there are different toys for this, that and the other! It can be very overwhelming.

In our house, I like to examine each toy we bring into our house. What purpose does it serve? Is it visually appealing? How long will it last? 

That is how I constructed my list of toys. They must serve a defined purpose; such as fine motor skills, object permanence, ect. They must be visually pleasing to both my child and I. And they must serve a wide range of uses because nobody wants to spend money on a toy that won't last a month. 

First list is what to get littles 0-3 months. You will notice most of these toys also serve a larger age range (again, we want that!) but would be best bought around this specific age group to get the most of your money. Since babies are more keen to play with you at this age, this is the shortest of the lists and includes more "gear" than toys. 


No longer will you have to suffer at those bright, overly busy play gyms. This was my number one pick when we were pregnant with baby #2. First, it is extremely pleasing to the eye for both child and parent. It is sturdy wood and will easily last a few babies. And it is easy to hang different toys and objects from the gym. We bought the animal set that Land of Nod also offers and we are also in love with the quality, appearance, and use of them as well. But the biggest hit was the  Octopus.  It's a great size for both the gym and play on its own, the tentacles provide tactile stimulation, and has a lovely gentle chime when shook. You can use a silver bell to hang, Montessori style, or black and white cards. I also hang teething necklaces. 

*I feel adding a mobile is too redundant as the gym works in the same ways. However a simply Montessori style mobile is a great visual toy. Stay away from overly busy, bulky mobiles. Die cut shapes that are easily seen and 'float' rather than move are much better for baby.*

Babies vision out of the womb is not very good, and they can only see black and white high contrast images. While your smiling face is the most important visual tool at this age, Black and White Cards are also fun. The art work is modern and adorable, and you will be surprised how your new baby will concentrate on them! Bonus that you can use them as wall art, and identifying cards when they are older. There are a few to chose from on Amazon, many of them with different themes!


No, this isn't a toy. But it's been a huge hit in this house. A investment piece, we loved cradling our newborn in the sheep skin for its softness and temperature regulating, and now at three months it makes a comfy play mar under the gym. Quality is important, you do not want a high pile (suffocation risk, especially during tummy time), and one that uses a lot of chemicals. Eco wool is naturally tanned in the sun using no chemicals, the perfect pile height, and luxuriously soft. 

High contrast and/or soft rattles and animals

Again, since babies vision is poor, you want to go with something that will be clearly visual to your little. 

Although there are some plastic high contrast rattles that are very good additions such as:

Rattlin Ring
Spin and Shine

However, I prefer knit rattles/animals. First, have you ever seen a 3 month old with good coordination? Plastic toys can be heavy and discouraging for use when a baby accident toy hits them self with it. Knit raptors are soft, light, and easy to manipulate. They will continue to be used as lovies, teethers, and knit animal friends later in life. So already they have more use than the plastic versions. I find them, in my opinion, much more visually pleasing as well. Not all knit rattles are as high contrast but it is easy to find simple rattles that will be easy for your baby to see. Here are some of my favorites: 

Panda Knit
Tiger Knit
Pebble Bunny
Under the Nile Organic Animals
Lion Rattle
I have this and it is a huge hit: Sheep Rattle
I also have this and adore its large size: Panda Rattle
And this may not be as high contrast as I normally like, but I think I have to have it!!! Gnome Rattle


Wood clutching toys 

I debated putting this on 0-3 months or 3-6 months, as baby will be around 3 months before these become played with. I decided to add them here because it's always best to buy ahead of development than behind! Clutching toys are the beginning  of strengthening hands for fine motor skills and coordination. There is a large variety of toys, the most popular being Haba Magica or the similar Grimm's Grasper, and Manhattan Skwish. They are still easy and light enough for small babies to paw at and will be very useful for the following year. I find my two year old still playing with both from time to time! I would recommend a trio of this set including the Magica, Skwish, and one other of the many  grasping toys such as the Haba Triangles, Kringelings, or Color Whorl. There are many options but three is company and you will find any more will just be repetitive. These three vary enough to justify buying them all and will keep your little busy for at least a year. 

Unbreakable mirror/wall mirror. 

Who doesn't like to look at themselves in a mirror? Babies love it! There are many unbreakable mirrors on the market but we have been enjoying these beveled edge mirrors we got from Lowe's: Mirror

We glued them to the wall with liquid  nails. Not only does baby get a reflection to play with, but for our toddler it expands her block play with reflective patterns and mirrors images! 

A Wind Chime.

I know what your thinking. Really Myia? What hippie BS is this? But go to your local store and pick up a cheap chime. Hang it in babies view and blow on it gently. You will see why I say wind chime. It is both visually and auditory pleasing and fascinating for baby.  

If you are into beautiful chimes, this wind chime on my list this year. It is made of rainbow glass and is so visually appealing I can't stand it! It is super affordable as well. I plan on hanging it in the window of my playroom, so the sun will shine through the glass cascading the colors, and when a breeze enters the window (or I have my ceiling fan on) it will gently chime. 

That concludes my best toys for ages 0-3 months! I hope you enjoyed it and it has given you ideas! 

1 comment: